The Hollis Social Library participates in the program 1000 Books Before Kindergarten.
The single most important thing you can do to inspire lifelong learning is to read to your child every day. Reading with your child increases their vocabulary, listening skills, and narrative skills while instilling in them self-awareness and confidence. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding and promotes positive relationships.
Create lifelong memories and prepare your child for kindergarten and beyond with this fun reading program!
How does it work?
- Read together with your child! Everything you read together counts—even the same book again and again. You can even count books your child hears at library storytimes!
- Any child from birth until they enter kindergarten can participate in the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- Log your books using Beanstack. You can log books using your computer or the Beanstack app, which you can download from the App Store or Google Play.
- For every 100 books read your child will earn a fun prize!
Can we really read 1000 books?
Yes! You can absolutely read 1000 books before kindergarten. It might seem like a daunting number but consider:
- One book a day for 3 years = 1000+ Books
- Three books a day for 1 year = 1000+ Books
- Ten books a week for 2 years = 1000+ Books
The 1000 Books Foundation is operated exclusively for charitable, literary, and educational purposes. The objectives of this organization are: To promote reading to newborns, infants, and toddlers. To encourage parent and child bonding through reading. It is a nonprofit 501(c)(3). The name and logo for 1000 Books Before Kindergarten are used with permission from the 1000 Books Foundation.