Fine Free Library!
The Hollis Social Library is excited to announce that we are officially a Fine Free Library! The HSL Board of Trustees approved this new chapter in our Library’s borrowing policy on March 13, 2023.
Beginning on Monday, March 20th, HSL will no longer charge fines on late returns or late renewals. All past overdue fees in current accounts will also be forgiven.
What does fine free mean for me?
- You will no longer incur an overdue fine for items returned or renewed late.
- Items you check out from the library will still have a due date.
- You are still responsible for returning your items on time so that others may enjoy them.
- We will email you reminders to return or renew your items.
- You will be billed for items that are 4 weeks overdue. If you return the item within 90 days, the charge will be cleared from your account.
Why did the library go fine free?
The library is for everyone. The Hollis Social Library joins an ever-growing number of libraries nationwide who are removing financial barriers to library service. Overdue fines can prevent some patrons, especially children and teens, from using the library. We believe our community is stronger when everyone has equal access to books, materials, and services that enrich lives, inspire intellectual curiosity, and support lifelong learning.
Late fees are not effective. Research has shown that charging overdue fines does not encourage people to return items on time. In fact, some studies have shown that eliminating overdue fines result in an increased return of library books and materials.
Exceptions to fine free:
Borrowers will still be charged replacement costs for lost or damaged library books and materials.
HSL Mission Statement
The Mission of the Hollis Social Library is to connect patrons with informational, cultural, and recreational resources to enrich life, promote literacy, inspire intellectual curiosity, support lifelong learning, and stimulate the imagination.